Saturday, May 14, 2011

Yellowstone or Bust! One week out.


Day One Sunday;
The morning got off to a rough start before I even pulled out of the driveway. Staci was going to take a picture of me and the 4Runner loaded up and ready to go, I got my small camera out turned it on and droped it on the lens...broken. We got Staci's camera out that was similar and....Yes I droped it too. 2 cameras smashed before I leave. I guess that's the BUST.
Made it to Amarillo at 9:30 and 702 miles. Stoped in Waco played 7 over on Woodlake Park Disc Golf Course. It was on a lake and very windy but a nice course. I think I took every out of the way highway to get to Amarillo. Man there are some ghost towns out this way nothing open in the downtown and homes in the are abandonded. The fires ran into one active wild fire and acres and acers of burned up land scary.
Next stop Santa Fe, N ew Mexico
Monday-Thursday
Arrived in Santa Fe at 1PM had a hard time finding "Santa Fe" following the signs I was there but where are the downtown buildings? There arn't any, no building over 3 stories. Very cool city all the buildings were earthtone adobe style. Businesses, hotels and homes all looked the same.  After lunch I headed to Black Country campground in the Santa Fe National Forest just 7 miles from downtown Santa Fe. I set up camp at 8500ft and hiked then headed for a hike up the mountain. Tuesday woke up and it was 42 and I was cold all night. First I moved camp to a much better spot(pain in the butt)further up in the campsite and ended up next to a nice couple with there 2 year old from Houston, it's a small world. Headed to town and the Plaza,visited a couple of churches and ate an organic crorizzo burrito with green chiles. Good stuff. Headed back up the mountain hiked in Hyde State Park then hung out at camp and entertained my neighbors with some Eagles and The Who. Then It got cold 32 and it rained a little in the night and we had a group of  kids singing in SPANISH all night till 4AM and they never went to bed. In the morning headed to Starbucks to get some internet access and coffee and booked a hotel room it is too cold and I am too old. The hotel was nice and I rode my bike around the Santa Fe River(dry). Thursday morning I headed up to Bandalier National Monument an ancient Indian settlement in the cliffs in the Jemez Muntains and it was beautiful. Completed one of the New Mexico Scinic Byway trips through the Jemez Mountains. I stopped at another ancient Indian settlement and early church early 1600's and a rock formation Battleship Rock.
Next stop Colorado Springs
 

No comments:

Post a Comment